The Program of
Interdisciplinary Social Science (ISS)
USF St. Petersburg’s Interdisciplinary Social Science (ISS) program is intended to provide students a broad grounding in the social sciences while creating opportunities to explore selected disciplines in more depth. Rather than being a very general, catch-all degree, ISS at USFSP is a focused program in which students work with their advisors to create a unique course of study of specific societal issues and to prepare for specific career paths. The structure of the ISS degree allows a student to pick courses in two disciplinary areas which bring different perspectives or methodological and theoretical approaches to a topic or social problem. The program is research and writing intensive.
The program emphasizes:
- critical analysis of social issues,
- introduces students to a variety of paradigms and perspectives with which to frame social problems,
- gives students the opportunity to explore the research process,
- exposes students to a variety of methodologies,
- and emphasizes effective writing.
Do you like to think outside the box?
Do you have too many passions for just one major?
Do you see how different processes, places and people are interconnected?
Then ISS is for you! Join us in an exciting exploration of the world! There are endless possibilities in ISS!
Design your own program around your interests!