Food Writing & Photography
Mission Statement and Student Learning Outcomes
The Graduate Certificate in Food Writing and Photography is a 15 credit hour certificate that can be earned completely online or as a hybrid of online and face-to-face coursework. Students take required online courses within the Digital Journalism and Design curriculum, enroll in an elective offering, and complete a final project that showcases the culinary communication skills obtained in the program. The program is coordinated by Janet K. Keeler, food and travel editor at the Tampa Bay Times.
Much of the language below comes from The Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
Content / Discipline Skills
- Ethics: Students will demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles and work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness and diversity.
- Law: Understand and apply the principles and laws of freedom of speech and press, as well as receive instruction in and understand the range of systems of freedom of expression around the world, including the right to dissent, to monitor and criticize power, and to assemble and petition for redress of grievance.
- Editing: Critically evaluate their own work and that of others for accuracy and fairness, clarity, appropriate style and grammatical correctness.
- Writing: Write correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for the communications professions, audiences and purposes they serve.
- History: Demonstrate an understanding of the history and role of professionals and institutions in shaping communications.