Employment opportunities for JMS students and alumni
The USFSP Neighborhood News Bureau needs help with redesigning its web portal. They are looking for people who can work with WordPress and have some CSS and HTML skills to create a unique look for NNB across a group of subsidiary websites under NNB.
If you are interested, please contact Dr. Bernardo Motta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you ready for a new job? Public media is hiring! Whether you are a rising talent, mid-career or seasoned candidate, sign up here for Public Media’s Virtual Career Fair!
To name a few: PBS, NPR, WGBH, WBUR, New York Public Radio, Arizona Public Media, and WNET will be recruiting!
To learn more or to register, visit this link.
Are you organized, tech-savvy and helpful? Do you have a background in photography? Do you want to play a key role in the smooth functioning of a growing photo department at a media startup?
Taylor Media is looking for a full-time photo editor to join the team at The Penny Hoarder, a popular blog about interesting ways to make and save money. It is a profitable, bootstrapped startup based in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida.
As the team’s photo editor, you will work with the director of photography, photo editor, and staff photographers in the development of stories for The Penny Hoarder. This includes reaching out to contacts for access to businesses and places, helping to arrange and schedule photo shoots for staff photographers and general day-to-day operations of the photo department.
You will attend morning news meetings and coordinate photo coverage for daily stories either via staff photographers or from the wire. You also will select photos each day from an in-house photo archive, Getty Images and the Associated Press.
The Penny Hoarder is looking for someone who…
Demonstrates superior organization skills and attention to detail.
Has strong interpersonal skills to coordinate with writers, editors and the public.
Possesses technical skills, including proficiency with source databases, WordPress, Photoshop, Photo Mechanic and publishing on social media platforms.
Is adept at using Macs as well as general computer literacy.
Demonstrates an eye for good documentary-style photography to source photos from Getty, AP and outside contributors.
Can organize and file photo releases for photography subjects.
Is capable of occasionally doing in-house shoots of products, food and people.
Preferably has experience in an editorial environment and a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Has examples/portfolio/work experience to show online.
Taylor Media is a digital media startup based in beautiful and walkable St. Petersburg, Florida. It runs The Penny Hoarder, a website about interesting ways to earn and save money. Their mission is to provide valuable, relevant tips and inspirational stories that help people put more money in their pockets.
In 2017, Inc. 5000 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the No. 1 fastest-growing private media company in the U.S. for the second consecutive year, and #25 on the overall list of the fastest-growing private companies in America. They are bootstrapped and profitable, with a brand new state-of-the-art headquarters. Their bold, kind, lead with spark team is one of innovation and progress, and they promote a strengths-based culture that offers their employees room to learn and grow.
Perks of joining include: Full health insurance coverage, three weeks of vacation time plus seven paid holidays, unlimited sick days, generous retirement plan, parking and communications allowance and an annual learning stipend.
Please navigate to our website to apply, so you can answer the application questions. You can read more about what it’s like to work with them at http://thepennyhoarder.com/careers.
Halldale Group publishes magazines and web news pages that focus on simulation training for the military, commercial aviation and healthcare markets. The focus of the business is to provide timely accurate information to those employed in training staff to manage difficult or dangerous tasks and skills safely.
In business for more than thirty years, the period immediately ahead is the most exciting and positive they have seen as an industry as the baby boomers retire, demand expands significantly, and new people are required in significant numbers – globally and in all industries.
They seek an energetic, articulate reporter/writer who will write, edit and post news daily for their company website, news web pages, and other company materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Business Communications or a similar degree field with solid writing foundation.
- Demonstrates proficient expertise in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Proficient with and adheres to AP Style.
- Maintains a consistent voice and audience focus in writing.
- Is able to “boil down” verbose content to the “essence” of the main message in a concise, effective manner.
- Exhibits consistent quality control in work.
- Thorough attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong work ethic – willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Energetic, articulate and organized.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Experience/coursework in Marketing is a plus.
- In addition to your resume, please submit a cover letter and a brief writing sample.
Salary negotiable, 4 weeks vacation per annum, pension and healthcare schemes.
Based at Halldale’s Orlando/Lake Mary offices. The successful applicant will also be the Florida Correspondent for three publications.
Please apply to the Publisher via email email@example.com.
www.halldale.com (to be revised)
A sports photographer is needed to document a professional athlete in Bradenton on Sunday, Feb. 19. Photos of warm up, game play, and post game needed. Photographers will be compensated.
If interested, contact Mike McMullen at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (724) 612-9042.
Student Assistant | Social Media & Outreach
Hourly Wage: $8.00-$11.00 Number of Hours per Week: 5 – 15
Position Description: Are you social media savvy? Do you like to take photographs or shoot video? Are you passionate about design? Do you maintain a blog? If you answered yes to ANY of these questions, then you should apply for this job. We want an ambitious student seeking hands-on experience with social media marketing.
- Willingness to learn new skills independently.
- Experience and accessibility to photo and/or video editing software.
- Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in the written form.
- Understands technical aspects of social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Comfortable interacting with students both online and in person.
- Exhibits the ability to jump from the creative side of marketing to analytical side; able to demonstrate how their ideas are designed to accomplish the intended business outcome.
- Access to and experience with a DSLR camera and personal laptop.
- All majors welcome to apply with preference for Mass Comm, Marketing, Graphic Design.
Duties: Here are a range of activities and responsibilities for the position.
Level 1 Duties:
- Monitor and interact via news and social media outlets relevant to USFSP campus life and leadership.
- Includes responding to inquiries and curating relevant posts for sharing.
- Engage with campus life and events. Includes:
- networking with other departments and student organizations via social media and face to face.
- participating in tabling events such as Get On Board Day and Orientation Fairs.
- Research trends and implement best practices related to social networking.
- General office work. Includes:
- Greeting entrants at the front desk and directing as needed.
- Supporting event planning, including logistics and table staffing.
- Data entry, file management, etc.
Level 2 Duties:
- Prepare social media posts for Facebook and Instagram.
- Includes creating digital content with photo/video capture and editing, copywriting, and layout design.
- As schedule allows, provide media coverage of relevant leadership events (mostly on campus).
- Includes photo/video capture and personal interaction (i.e. formal or informal interviewing)
- Orchestrate email campaigns.
- Includes copywriting, familiarity/willingness to learn Mailchimp and Mail Merge.
- Manage and track success of community engagement. Includes:
- monitoring social media channels in order to respond to questions and comments.
- a regular report of engagement metrics.
- Level 1 duties as assigned.
Please submit your application through Recruit-a-Bull using Job ID 9242.
General inquiries can be sent to David O’Neill 727-873-4773 email@example.com
If you say yes to most of these, you’re probably a good fit for the position:
- You are self-motivated, hungry for a challenge, and looking to make an immediate impact.
- You are organized and can work independently.
- You smile, even if it’s just to yourself once in awhile.
- You are smart, creative, accountable, willing to go the extra mile, and really “get it”.
- You check your ego at the door.
Student Learning Objectives: As a result of this position, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate real-world marketing experience/skills to prospective employers.
- Demonstrate basic employability skills such as: self-management, timeliness to work, appropriate dress, interpersonal communication, and time management.
- Articulate how personal talents, skills, and knowledge fit into the employer’s goals, mission, and vision.
- Have a deeper understanding of your strengths and professional brand.
In addition to these standard learning objectives, you will develop in collaboration with our team a set of learning goals unique to you and your personal/professional interests.
Our Purpose: The Bishop Center for Ethical Leadership is dedicated to the concept of learning by doing. We believe everyone has leadership capacities within them and that those capacities develop through experience and reflection. We aim to make this position an opportunity for such an experience.
Work Environment: We strive to practice what we preach by designing a work environment that allows you to apply your interests, talents and passion to projects that serve the overall mission of the Bishop Center. We do this so that whatever your major or field of study, your work with the Bishop Center will complement your growth and position you for success outside of the classroom.
Work will be done in an office environment with occasional outdoor assignments, such as event coverage. We’ll provide an atmosphere for personal and professional growth in exchange for thoughtful and reliable work. Individual creativity is encouraged and we’ll embrace input from our student team members. We’ll work with successful candidates to arrange a schedule that fits around other responsibilities like school.
Video & Multimedia Production is a core service provided by the Learning & Communications Department to a variety of internal and external stakeholders of Front Burner Brands (FBB). This is high-profile, forward-facing, and fast-paced position that demands a blend of professional acumen, creativity, and project management skills. Must be proficient in all facets of video & multimedia production; especially, the capture, editing, enhancing, and rendering of video, audio, and multi-media for instructional and non-instructional purposes. The Video & Multimedia Instructional Specialist produces video, still photos, enhanced photos, graphics, interactive multimedia elements, animations, and other visual and audio materials as primary and secondary design and instructional elements across a variety of modalities and material including technical documentation, reference manuals, recipe and plating cards, learning aides for face-to-face training, and online learning modules. Also, the Video & Multimedia Instructional Specialist will provide similar work product for non-instructional purposes such as internal marketing and communications. The Video & Instructional Specialist will not only be the knowledge expert for Video & Multimedia for FBB, but will also be a strategic team member assisting in the delivery of other core services of the Learning & Communications Department, especially Instructional Design and Core Communications. As such, the Video & Multimedia Instructional Specialist will be expected to inform and drive production in these areas.
- Produces video and multimedia elements for instructional and non-instructional purposes including the capture, manipulation, and editing of video, audio, and photographs; augmentation of same with animation, avatars, titles, and graphical elements; and, rendering video and audio products for multiple online systems and/or delivery formats including inward-facing communication portals, online learning platforms and, social media platforms.
- Design and edit graphics for the department, which includes editing photos for print or online use, embedding and manipulating same to augment training materials, designing graphics for training activities, designing covers for printed materials and online manuals, etc.
- Serves as the SME (subject matter expert) for Video & Multimedia within the Learning & Communications Department as well as other stakeholders of Front Burner Brands including RSC team members, vendors, field employees, franchise operators, and applicable subject matter experts (SMEs)
- Participates with L& C’s Instructional Design and Core Communications service units to develop and implement learning and training solutions that will inculcate, improve business performance and outcomes, and drive awareness of L & C’s value across all stakeholders.
- Writes, edits, formats, produces, and revises a variety of documentation in support of Video & Multimedia Production including versioning control, naming conventions, and archiving protocols and the appropriate use of FBB brand standards.
- In concert with the Director of Learning & Communications, researches, recommends, and broadcasts a comprehensive and cogent operational strategy for Video & Multimedia Production for both the department and Front Burner Brands including, but not limited to, aligning to the department’s strategic plan and initiatives; advising as to emerging trends and technologies; and, suggesting solutions to obstacles or impediments to success.
- Assist with special projects and training events.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform all job responsibilities and accountabilities. The items listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Two years’ experience with video and multimedia production in a professional capacity or two years’ experience as an advanced multimedia student with a project portfolio.
- Video and Multimedia Production: Proficient in Adobe Premiere, Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Photoshop.
- e-Learning or Online Learning: Knowledgeable of course authoring concepts and software such as Articulate Storyline, Camtasia, Captivate, and iSpring and Learning Management Systems, academic or corporate, such as Canvas/Bridge; Moodle/Totara; or SaaS systems such as Litmos or TalentLMS.
- Project Management: Knowledgeable of project management concepts and software such as Basecamp, MS Project, or Smartsheet.
- Skill in the design, layout and graphic requirements for printing.
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment, aptitude to overcome barriers, multitask, accomplish tasks by the established deadline and within a high pressure environment.
- Effective, efficient and professional written and verbal communication skills are a must. Detail oriented. Sense of urgency is critical to your success.
- Preferred experience with technical writing, producing and/or editing training materials.
- Preferred experience with training within the restaurant industry and/or with franchised concepts.
- Combination of education, certifications and / or experience will be considered.
Travel as needed or required for scheduled meetings or company functions.
- Act in accordance with the company’s culture, vision, principles and beliefs.
- Abide by all company policies.
- Creates structure to ensure work is accomplished at maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Performs all duties in a timely, effective, and proficient manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the expected results of the position responsibilities.
- Maintains favorable business relationships with peers, field staff, franchisees, unit management, vendors and other company employees to foster and promote a cooperative harmonious working climate.
- Professional communication skills: internal and external communication documents and training / development materials. Able to relate information in a concise, accurate, and understandable delivery to peers, superiors, and outside contacts.
- Keeps immediate supervisor informed of all business matters pertaining to all areas of responsibility. Takes prompt action to resolve problems or barriers and suggests alternative solutions or actions when necessary.
- Maintains strict confidentiality with information or knowledge considered sensitive or confidential in nature.
- Creates plans for workflow to meet deadlines.
- Executes business strategy to produce desired financial results.
- Creates periodic action plans to improve efficiency, productivity, and financial performance.
- Performs other duties and special projects as required.
- Performs duties as assigned related to company initiatives
- Provides strategy and consulting as defined and agreed in the scope of work with unaffiliated brands that FBB enters into a consultancy arrangement.
Ability to read, write, and communicate in English. Additional or secondary / primary languages are encouraged. Ability to write and analyze, internal & external business correspondence. Present information in an organized and accurate, clear, concise format.
Mathematical & Reasoning Abilities:
Calculate figures & amounts. Add, subtract, multiply, divide, statistics, and some advanced math may be required. Ability to define problems, collect data/information to draw conclusions and make sound training & business decisions.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Typing, staring at a computer monitor for long periods, standing, bending, crawling, using hands to grasp, stoop, reach overhead, sit, walk. Lift small, medium, large objects up to 25lbs. lift up to 15 lbs., on a regular basis. Must use senses: taste, smell, sound and sight. Ability to work 45 hours each week, more if needed. Be able to work a variety of shifts or varying schedule and / or hours as required.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Interested applicants can apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=fbbportal
Shmoop University, Inc., a digital publishing company that aims to make learning fun, has just launched college profiles that provide prospective students with all they need to know to choose the right school for them, from the average SAT scores of accepted students to the hottest hangout spots on campus.
We are huge fans of the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, and we want to make sure your school appears on our site!
If you are a student who may be interested in a paid writing opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will offer anyone interested competitive pay for writing a short college profile for University of South Florida — St. Petersburg like what we have on site. If that first assignment goes well, we may offer the writer further writing or editing assignments.