The Penny Hoarder, a St. Petersburg-based publication, is currently seeking interns for the following positions:
Video Production Editor Intern
Are you interested in video and eager to learn more?
Do you love the idea of creating the coolest, most share-worthy videos? Does editing come second nature to you? Are you wanting to learn more about digital media?
Taylor Media is looking for a video production editor who will intern for The Penny Hoarder, the fastest growing private media company in the country. This is your chance to help create unique videos that fulfill our company’s mission of putting money in our readers’ pockets and gain real-life experience.
The ideal candidate is a college student who is eager to take on multiple tasks, help edit original content and craft innovative programming across multiple platforms.
The internship lasts one semesters, with the possibility of extending it. Taylor Media believes in paying interns — we offer $12/hour — and their full-time positions include benefits. Students might be able to earn college credits for this work.
In this position, you’ll…
- Be passionate about pitching, developing, producing and editing videos.
- Have beginner’s knowledge of Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Final Cut and Avid
- Have experience using DSLR camera and audio equipment
- Have working experience of Google Mail, Drive, Sheets & Docs
- Be organized, meticulous and tech-savvy
- Be self-motivated and works well in groups
Be hard working and willing to pitch in as needed
- Be comfortable lifting 50 lbs of equipment
Duties include but aren’t limited to…
- Editing video series, new and original content, kinetic type/text only videos, interviews, multi-cam shoots, 360-VR
- Developing new concepts and ideas for videos
- Pitching in on set and in the field for shoots
- Staying up-to-date with trends
- Delivering completed quality works to team
- Strong ability to take initiative, set priorities, solve problems and be resourceful under pressure
Editorial Writing Intern
Are you interested in writing for a fast-growing digital media company?
Taylor Media is looking for a writing intern for The Penny Hoarder, the fastest growing private media company in the country. This is your chance to help create unique, compelling content that fulfill our company’s mission of putting money in our readers’ pockets and gain real-life experience.
The ideal candidate is a college student who is eager to take on multiple tasks, learn the ins and outs of the digital media industry, and help research, report and write original content that will appear on multiple platforms.
The internship lasts one semester, with the possibility of extending it. We believe in paying interns — we offer $12/hour. Students might be able to earn college credits for this work.
In this position, you’ll…
- learn how to turn a story idea into a pitch, and then how to pitch the story to an editor
- conduct research for posts using interviews, data and public records
- learn how to write for a variety of platforms: web, SEO, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- learn how to work with an editor
- write posts in a variety of formats, from short newsy posts to at least one longer reported piece by semester’s end
- understand the editorial process involved in taking a story from idea to final product
- work with photo, video and social departments to collaborate on cross-platform content
Search Engine Optimization Intern
- Link Building
- Research to identify link targets: blogs, journalists, influencers, organizations
- Monitor web for brand mentions
- Outreach to targets for link acquisition: email, web, social media, phone
- Develop content for link acquisition: guest posts, roundup posts, infographics
- Design infographics for placement in posts and third-party sites
- Broken link building via Wikipedia and other high-DA sites
- Competitive analysis to identify link opportunities by vertical
- Reverse image lookup to identify unlinked images
- On-page optimization
- Help optimize republished posts (we have been averaging 4-6 per week)
- Identify strategic on-page optimization opportunities (i.e. posts with keywords ranking in positions 7-15 or posts with high-volume keywords ranking 11-20) and update for maximum SEO visibility
- Identify topics competing for same keyword, rework posts with unique primary keywords
- Internal linking: rework internal linking across site to properly funnel link equity to main posts/categories
- Work with editorial staff on new posts to optimize prior to publishing
- Technical optimizations
- Monitor Google Search Console for AMP errors, duplicate title tags/meta descriptions and crawl errors
- Fix or escalate issues to SEO Manager or Product Team to resolve
- Editorial Topic Ideation
- Utilize keyword research, competitive analysis and trends data to develop topics/angles for TPH coverage
- Duplicate content
- Monitor TPH and web for stolen/duplicate content
- Request content removal and/or report issues to Google when appropriate
Taylor Media is a digital media startup based in beautiful and walkable St. Petersburg, Florida. It runs The Penny Hoarder, a website about interesting ways to earn and save money. Their mission is to provide valuable, relevant tips and inspirational stories that help people put more money in their pockets.
In 2017, Inc. 5000 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the No. 1 fastest-growing private media company in the U.S. for the second consecutive year, and #25 on the overall list of the fastest-growing private companies in America. They are bootstrapped and profitable, with a brand new state-of-the-art headquarters. Their bold, kind, lead with spark team is one of innovation and progress, and they promote a strengths-based culture that offers their employees room to learn and grow.
Perks of joining include: Full health insurance coverage, three weeks of vacation time plus seven paid holidays, unlimited sick days, generous retirement plan, parking and communications allowance and an annual learning stipend.
Please navigate to our website to apply, so you can answer the application questions. You can read more about what it’s like to work with them at http://thepennyhoarder.com/careers.