JMS Junior Awarded Prestigious Stephen Noble Internship at WUSF

By Rosie Lee, Digital Journalism and Design Program

Michael Butler, a junior in the JMS program, has been selected as the first recipient of the Stephen Noble Internship at WUSF Public Media beginning in fall 2014. The mentorship allows Butler the opportunity to research, write, and produce news for radio under the tutelage of the experts at WUSF news radio.

That he is thrilled for the opportunity is an understatement. “I find myself working with people that I have considered to be a great source of information and inspiration,” Butler said. “The harder I work, the better my luck is.”

It wasn’t luck that landed Butler the job. Steve Newborn, Interim News Director at WUSF, said Butler’s cover letter was a significant factor in his selection.

“It wasn’t all about him,” Newborn said. “It was about the change he could be a part of.”

Newborn emphasized, “I would suggest any journalism student trying to break into the field should temper their ‘pitch’ as to what they can do for others, rather than what everybody else can do for them.”

Butler will have ample opportunity to show what he can do. WUSF Public Media consists of four strategic business units – WUSF 89.7, WSMR 89.1, WUSF-TV, and Intellis Media.