Chenneville Previews “Growing Up Positive”

USFSP’s Tiffany Chenneville, associate professor of Psychology, has been studying the effects of HIV on children for more than 10 years. Her work has culminated in a new documentary in which she explores the social implications of growing up with HIV or having acquired it as an adolescent or young adult. She previewed a portion of the film, which has yet to be completed, on Thursday, March  26, at The Studio at 620 in downtown St. Petersburg.

Dr. Tiffany Chenneville

Dr. Tiffany Chenneville

“This documentary is not just a film about my illness, it is also about my life, and my triumphs of not letting HIV define me and who I am as a person,” says one of the young people who participates in the film. “This documentary is important for people to watch to not only be educated about HIV, but to end the stigma about the disease that still exists.”

“After a decade of focused attention and research on the topic of adolescent HIV, Dr. Chenneville has emerged as one of the leading voices and experts in the country today,” said Dr. Frank Biafora, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “This documentary film with noted filmmaker Kristy Anderson, also shows the tremendous range of Tiffany’s scholarly portfolio and her dedication to make her research as accessible as possible.”