The USF St. Petersburg Veterans Services office is available to assist you in receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. We are also available to assist you in other areas to help assure your academic success.
Our main goal is to provide educational benefit programs and other supportive services to veterans, national guardsmen, reservists, and eligible dependents enrolled at USF St. Petersburg.
It’s important to submit all of the necessary paperwork via the USF Veterans Services submission link on time. Prompt submission will ensure that you receive your benefits and you are not dropped from any classes.
When you have completed the following list of items, compile all of the paperwork into a packet and bring it to the Office of Veterans Services, located in the Office of Financial Aid, BAY 105. See maps and directions. A counselor will review your packet and assist if necessary. Let’s get started:
1 – Request VA Educational Benefits
Go to the Veteran’s Online Application Web site (VONAPP) and fill out the application. After submitting the application electronically to the VA, print out a copy to bring into our office.
*** APPLY FOR SUMMER 2013 BENEFITS – April 1st, 2013 ***
- First, register for Summer Classes
- Second, apply for our Summer 2013 Benefits using our new, FULLY ONLINE CLOCKWORKS SYSTEM or complete the Summer 2013 form like previous semesters. Go to our Forms page for the Summer 2013 Benefit Request Form PDF or click on the Clockworks link to submit your benefits. Instructions for Clockworks are in the Forms section of the website. This will be the last semester that you can submit Paper Benefits Request Forms.
- Fall 2013 – Applications for VA Education Benefits will solely be done using solely Clockworks. We currently are still waiting on a date to begin submission for Fall 2013 VA Education Benefits.
2 – Apply to USFSP
After you meet USFSP’s requirements for admission you can apply to USFSP. Don’t forget to pay your application fee!
3 – Evaluation of Military Credit
Obtain your military transcripts and send to Admissions.
- Army Transcripts, or call 1-866-297-4427
- Air Force Transcripts, or call 1-877-253-7122
- Coast Guard Transcripts, or call 1-877-253-7122
- Marines and Navy Transcripts, or call 1-877-253-7122
- American Council on Education (ACE) Transcripts. Under Program or Service drop down list select Transcript Services.
- CLEP Transcripts. Call 1-800-257-9558 (Cost = $15) To determine pass/fail for a student: Call 1-800-257-9558, give SSN and DOB or address (for ID purposes) and give our passing score for specific test taken.
For Transcript Translation, call World Education Services 212-966-6311.
4 – FAFSA
- When a veteran applies for first time GI Bill benefits there is typically a 1-3 month waiting period before they can expect their first payment. While it is that the VA will pay those GI Bill benefits, landlords and bill collectors are often unwilling or unable to wait. Therefore in response to this issue affecting thousands of veterans annually, we encourage all students receiving veterans’ educational benefits to apply for Financial Aid for grants, loans and scholarship opportunities. If approved, you do not need to accept any of the loans, grants or scholarships. But it is important to have those approved and waiting in case you need them.
- To fill out your FAFSA go to: www.fafsa.ed.gov
- There are literally thousands of scholarships available. Visit the USFSP Office of Financial Aid for scholarship updates!
5 – Orientation and Registration
You’ve been accepted!
- Once you’ve been accepted to USFSP
- you’ll need to register for Orientation. The same day that you complete orientation you are eligible to register for classes.
- Upon completion of class registration, visit the USFSP Office of Veterans Services to have your completed VA package reviewed.
6 – Submit Packet
The forms you will need to submit are based on your student type at USF St. Petersburg, as well as whether you have previously received veteran’s educational benefits.
These forms are coordinated through the USF System. To know specifically what is needed, please choose from the following: