- Applicants must submit satisfactory evidence of A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited university.
- A current Professional Educator’s Certificate.
- Proof of passage of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) and General Knowledge Test if Professional Educator’s Certificate is not from Florida.
- A grade point average of 3.0 or greater in all undergraduate or upper division undergraduate work -OR- A previous graduate degree from a regionally accredited university -OR- A score of 1000 or greater on the combined verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) taken within the last 5 years.
- The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) endorsement, or inclusion of a 60 hour ESOL course in the student’s Planned Program upon acceptance.
The Reading Endorsement Certificate program is designed to meet the needs of teachers K-12 who want to increase their effectiveness in the teaching of reading. This program addresses the needs expressed by the Florida State Department of Education. The program includes five classes which will provide an in depth examination of reading research, theory and the application on sound and current scientific research. Completion of the required 15 credit hours qualifies individuals with a current Florida teaching certificate to earn the Florida Reading Endorsement.
The courses are as follows:
- RED 6544 Cognition, Comprehension, and Content Area Reading: Remediation of Reading Problems (3 credit hours)
- RED 6545: Trends and Issues in Vocabulary, Phonics, and Word Study (3 credit hours)
- RED 6658: Current Trends in Differentiated Reading Instruction (3 credit hours)
- RED 6540: Assessment in Literacy (3 credit hours)
- RED 6846: Practicum in Reading (3 credit hours)
For a full list of required courses and program information, please visit the Graduate Catalog.
Advisor: Dr. Cynthia Leung