Master’s of Science (M.S.)
The Master’s of Science degree in Middle Grades STEM Education cultivates and trains teachers in STEM programs (science, technology, engineering and math) to both create STEM-related experiences that excite and interest students of all backgrounds and to support states and school districts in their efforts to transform schools into vibrant STEM learning environments.
The program engages middle school science and mathematics teachers in ways to improve their content knowledge and enhance pedagogical skills in teaching mathematics and science and prepares middle grades mathematics and science teachers for roles as teacher leaders; and, prepares middle school STEM teachers to inspire and teach students to be successful in STEM education, thereby increasing the number of individuals capable of filling critically important STEM-related career positions.
Must meet University requirements as well as program requirements listed below.
- Two years of middle grades (5-9) teaching experience in math and/or science; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a STEM-related field from a regionally accredited university and teacher certification in an appropriate area
- Grades of ‘C’ or better in all core undergraduate science and mathematics courses
- At least a 2.5 grade point average for the four-year undergraduate degree, and for the last two years (60 hours) of the undergraduate degree and
- A grade point average of 3.0 or greater for the last two years (60 hours) of the undergraduate degree, or A score of 1000 or greater on the combined verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), or IF YOU HAVE A previous graduate degree from a regionally accredited university THEN grades of ‘B’ or better in all science and mathematics graduate level coursework IS REQUIRED
- State of Florida ESOL requirement for middle grades content teachers. Note: If this requirement is not met prior to starting the program, the student will be required to take and additional course in the program – FLE 5345: Teaching English Language Learners K-12 prior to graduation.
For a full list of required courses and program information, please visit the Graduate Catalog.
Advisor: Mr. Jesse Strong