Camp Happened Too Fast

According to my biological clock, we should be playing dodgeball right now, slowly wrapping up the game so that we can bring the kids to lunch. I shouldn’t be sitting here, at the Tavern, leisurely drinking my coffee and sitting with friends. It just isn’t right.

Friday 7/26 was our Fairmount Park Elementary School science camp graduation ceremony and, honestly, I cried like a baby. I had my ups and downs with the kids, there’s no doubt about that, but I don’t think I ever realized just how much I would truly miss them when summer camp was over.

When we first started working at camp, I had a feeling I wasn’t going to like it. After all, I didn’t like the year that I worked in first grade, and these kids were only older—and, after my first day of work proved, not afraid to speak their mind.

Next year, I’m volunteering in a pre-kindergarten class, so I didn’t think I was going to enjoy working with rising fourth and fifth graders. Boy, was I wrong. I miss the kids more than anything.

Camp only ended a couple weeks ago and I already can’t wait to see them when the school year starts.