'burg Blogs »
Interim Regional Chancellor Bill Hogarth says thanks and farewell

Interim Regional Chancellor Bill Hogarth

I write this with a little sadness and joy all at the same time.

As you know my time at USF St. Petersburg is winding down and I wanted to take a moment to reflect and to thank everyone who contributed to this productive and successful academic year.  It has been an honor to serve as your Interim Regional Chancellor this past year and I leave ever more impressed with the high quality of students, faculty and staff with whom I have been privileged to associate myself.

As I walk around our beautiful waterfront campus, I feel the energy and enthusiasm of our students, who are inspired by world-class faculty and supported by hard-working staff.   I have enjoyed and will remember every minute of my time on campus, whether it was my official work as chancellor or just hanging out at the USC late at night flipping pancakes for the students.

Congratulations to all of our 2013 graduates, who have commenced an exciting new journey. And best wishes to those who are still working toward that goal. I hope you look back on your time at USFSP with fondness.

When President Judy Genshaft appointed me last year, I was committed to continuing the progress I had witnessed from afar, and to leave this institution in better shape than I found it. I believe together we have done that!

I depart knowing that USFSP is filled with Bull spirit and pride, and imbued with the knowledge that we are part of a system that is growing every day. I know that we have many supporters in the community, especially the Mayor and other city officials, who are ecstatic to be part of USFSP.

I will cherish the relationships and the experiences I’ve had with Campus Board members, faculty, staff and especially the students, so thank you for embracing me with your energy and for making my time here so memorable.  Be assured I will be watching from afar with  high hopes and fondness for all of you.

Bill

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
I am Interim Regional Chancellor of USFSP and Director of the Florida Institute of Oceanography. I also served three years as Dean of the USF College of Marine Science. Before joining USF, I was the former Assistant Administrator of the National Marine Fisheries Services at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, appointed by President George W. Bush in 2001. I grew up in Jarratt, Virginia, a town of 600 people in southern Virginia. I received my bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Richmond in Virginia and a Ph.D. from North Carolina State University. To fulfill one of my childhood dreams, I took a break in marine research and returned to my hometown to operate a small neighborhood grocery store.
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!