'burg Blogs »
Sunshine And Sailboats Aren’t The Only Things USFSP Has In Its Backyard

Heart of the USFSP campus.

Heart of the USFSP Campus | Photo: K. Jones '13

From day one the selling point for attending USFSP to me was location, location, location!

I still remember the first day I stepped foot on the USFSP campus. Located in the heart of downtown St. Petersburg, I instantly realized how much the environment and atmosphere surrounding it added to its “tempting allure” if you will.

Being a lover of all things revolving around sunshine, palm trees and saltwater, the USFSP campus’s location overlooking the harbor, I knew it was a perfect fit.

The fact that I can do homework while watching sailboats and yachts come in and out of dock, study by the fountain with trellises covered in hibiscus flowers, or even have lunch underneath the shade of the palm trees scattered across the USFSP campus, makes me feel like the luckiest girl, or shall I say college student, there is sometimes.

How many other college students can say they have those same experiences on a daily basis? Slim to none I know of! Many are stuck at colleges that are overcrowded and overwhelmed by the urban life around them. Not to mention the fact that most likely they don’t experience the pristine 70-80 degree temperatures we do year round.

Close Those Books And Hit The Streets

Here on the USFSP campus, we are lucky enough to truly have the best of both worlds. We have the beautiful water views and serene landscape all while being situated adjacent to the bustling, but NOT overcrowded, urban life of Downtown St. Pete. Sure, we have great dining options and coffee shops on campus, such as The Campus Grind, The Reef, The Red Mango or The Tavern,  but we also have a plethora of options right at our feet. Literally.

Wander a few blocks this way and you’ll find a movie theater, shops, boutiques, and even the famous St. Petersburg Pier – which houses even more shopping and dining options! Then wander a few blocks that way and you’ll find a variety of bars and nightclubs that many USFSP students have made their local hangouts – ahem, students who are of age of course.

USFSP had me from hello.

There was no further investigation for me into other schools or hemming and hawing over minuscule details. The feeling of comfort, the warmth of the people, and the generally peaceful and positive atmosphere that envelops the USFSP campus really drove my decision home. My time here has been amazing so far and I have no regrets in my decision to come here. The quality of learning and student life is off the charts.

Walking to class when you are having a less than stellar day and having the sunshine on your face, smelling the salt air or watching the dolphins swimming in the bay, can really help put things in perspective.

Yeah, yeah so you’re looking for an “education not a vacation,” your parents may say. Well…Why can’t you have both? Sure there are many things to consider when choosing colleges, such as what and where are right for you … But the biggest thing I learned is to trust your instincts. They are there for a reason.  I did, and it has been an experience I will never forget.

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
I’m a senior majoring in mass communications here at USFSP. I’m counting down the next three months until graduation in May 2013. It’s the final stretch and I’m ready to take on the real world! I’m currently working two jobs, one as a radio intern for the “Spice Show” on Tampa’s 102.5 The Bone. When I’m not putting in my two cents via blog you can hear it on the show, M-F from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. As for the future, I’m open to different opportunities, my dream one of course being in the radio biz (fingers crossed). I love all aspects of mass communications and there is no telling where life may take me. I’m just hoping it’ll be one heck of a ride.
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!