'burg Blogs »
The road to becoming a student journalist

The Crow's Nest newspapers

The Crow's Nest newspapers

The first time I attended a Crow’s Nest meeting, I was scared to death. I was a sophomore just starting my beginning journalism writing classes and after weeks of personal pep talk, I convinced myself to attend a meeting.

When I sat down in the lounge of PRW, the then editor-in-chief asked what I liked to write about. My answer: “Anything except sports.”

About five minutes later I had a story assignment and absolutely no idea where to go with it.

Flash forward to the end of spring 2012. I had written a few stories for The Crow’s Nest (even one for the front page!) and was curious about joining the staff as an editor. One of the job openings was for the Creative Director, which entails layout and design. Well, I have some experience with layout; I did it for a couple years in high school for the student newspaper. I applied for the job, warned them that I needed a crash course in Adobe InDesign, and got the job about a month later.

Little did I know that I was going to have to learn InDesign, Photoshop, and my responsibilities as Creative Director very quickly. Honestly, I don’t know where I would be if it weren’t for the guidance and skill of our graphic designer, Justin Duplain. He has taught me everything I know about design and was very patient with me the entire time. He never got frustrated even when I was frustrated with myself.

I’m proud to say that I quickly learned some very tough computer programs and helped put out 16 amazing issues in the course of five months.

Now, The Crow’s Nest is about to put out issue 19 and every week I learn something new about design, photos, writing, or journalism in general.

Working for the student newspaper has taken me from being shy and introverted, to not being afraid to go up to someone and talk to him or her or call someone on the phone for an interview. Getting involved in something like this really helped me grow. After all the hard work I put in, it’s exciting to know that people are reading what I write and appreciating what I put together.

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
I'm a senior majoring in Mass Communications. As a student journalist, I work for The Crow's Nest student newspaper as the Creative Director. I enjoy anything and everything that has to do with journalism, especially design and feature writing. Having been born and raised in Florida, I enjoy the beach, native wildlife, and learning about Florida's history. I'm also left-handed and an only child so I'm sort of an oddity.
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!