'burg Blogs »
True Life: I’m a Student Leader

Harborside Activites Board

Harborside Activites Board

Alarm goes off, it’s time to brush the teeth, do the hair, and put on some “dress for success” clothing. Look at the mirror one last time before heading out the door with the words in my head, “Students look up to you daily, so leave the problems here, and smile on.”

The Daily Grind

Every day when I head out the door, I do have to keep in mind that any negative action I can do will revert back to me as a leader on campus. I am normally a polite person to begin with, but even little things like being late to meetings or joining in on inappropriate jokes can be a bad idea. I try me best to smile and greet all the students who walk by, so that they know if they have a question about the campus they shouldn’t be afraid to come up to me and ask.

After class I usually go to the Harborside Activities Board office in the new Student Life Center to log in my work hours and make sure everything is in check. I will have an up-to-date chat with Ryan Hughes, our graduate assistant and Lauren Dakers, the president. During the rest of my office hours, I would just answer phone calls and emails regarding different programming companies giving our organization ideas on what we can bring to our campus to entertain the students. Honestly, it is tons of fun to do this all. I love it!

Event Day- What happens?

We plan our events months prior before it actually happens. That way we are ready to go with no hesitation.

Bumps in the road occur every now and then, though how do we become stronger without tackling mistakes?

The Directors of HAB reach out to the rest of the members for volunteer opportunities at our events, such as sign-in tables or hosting and mingling with the crowd. Whenever we bring a comedian or any Stage Act performer, the members of HAB greet them and meet them first behind the scenes before they even go on stage. How cool is that?!

I remember during Welcome Week, we brought the comedian Mike E Winfield. Anna, the Stage Acts Director, couldn’t greet Mike because she was in class, so it got turned on me. I was so excited but nervous because it was the first time I got to be the pointee to the comedian!

Our HAB Cinema Series are somewhat of a big deal on campus haha. After renting out the theater at Muvico for the Twilight Premier, students could just not stop talking about HAB. It was such a successful program and we plan on doing more in the future (so be on the look out..)

When we have movies in the USC Ballroom, that is like our own “on campus movie theater”. We have rows of chairs lined up in front of a giant projector screen with refreshments on the side.

Frank, the Director of Film, does a great job organizing his cinema series.

After a couple of hours for a program we put on, when the students leave and the time hits 10 or 11 PM, us in HAB gather our belongings, give ourselves our last few roles of the night (who would take the stuff back to the office, who will alert that the program is done etc) and call it a night. And lets not forget homework and classwork that needs to be done the next day!

Pros and Cons?

Being a student leader definitely has pros and cons. The pros? We get to not only be a role model for many other students, but we get to inspire them to also become one of us. The cons? Well, just knowing how to balance it all. Though if this is a passion- it won’t be difficult to do so.

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
Hey there! I'm Solange, also known as "Solo". I'm a junior majoring in Biology, class of 2014. A past Orientation Leader, current Vice President of the Harborside Activities Board as well as the Programming and Marketing chair of the Residence Hall Association and also your 2012 Homecoming Duchess!
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!