'burg Blogs »
Save Lids to Save Lives

Making Key Chains

Making key chains

I always felt a major thing this campus lacked was bringing awareness of disabilities or cancers or anything of the sort to the students and faculty. I figured if I started with one thing, it would be a major success with the tight knit campus that we have!

So I decided to start the Yoplait Save Lids to Save Lives program here last year in October.

Saving yogurt lids save lives…? Wait what?

What is this you ask? Save Lids to Save Lives is a philanthropy that takes in the Yoplait Pink Lids as donation money. Each lid is worth .10 cents towards our local Susan G Komen for the Cure.

Last year this program was held by the Residence Hall Association from October 1st through the 31st, and only held in the Residence Hall One. It was done by having floor competitions. By the end of the month the total amount of lids collected were 350, totaling out to be $35 towards the charity.

This year I wanted the program to be a campus wide event, getting faculty and student leaders in on the deal. RHA has a goal of collecting 1000 lids so that the total money donated would equal a solid $100. The first week was a slow one of marketing and promoting the event. 26 lids were collected at the end of the first week. I was disappointed and also scared that I wouldn’t be able to reach the goal of 1000. However I had to keep positive and remind myself that no matter how many lids are collected, it is still donation to the charity.

Yogurt Parfait Table

Yogurt parfait table

Today, however, Harborside Activities Board put on an event call Think Pink. Think Pink was a “create your own yogurt parfait and a breast cancer awareness key chain” event. Yoplait yogurt was provided so that when the students or faculty were finished, they can easily take the lid off and place it in the box supplied.

There was a great turn out of attendance and I couldn’t be more excited to count how many lids are totaled by the end of the week.

I am hoping this is bringing awareness to the campus and I hope that with each student realizes that turning in a simple yogurt lid is contributing so much to fight the cause.

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
Hey there! I'm Solange, also known as "Solo". I'm a junior majoring in Biology, class of 2014. A past Orientation Leader, current Vice President of the Harborside Activities Board as well as the Programming and Marketing chair of the Residence Hall Association and also your 2012 Homecoming Duchess!
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!