'burg Blogs »
Faculty Snapshot: Professor David Snyder

Two years ago, I decided to leave my editor job at a New York-based media company and pursue a master’s degree in journalism.

One of my main concerns was being isolated in academia and disconnected from the professional world.

I liked editorial meetings with colleagues throwing out ideas until one sounded good enough to pursue; and it wasn’t unusual for me to spend the afternoon outlining an article on the enormous whiteboard wall.

Shortly after starting at USFSP, I realized how wrong I’d been. Our faculty and staff actively contribute to their respective fields, and practice what they teach, whether by publishing academic articles, shooting and editing videos, acting as liaisons between student reporters and local media outlets or serving as food editor at the Tampa Bay Times.

Dr. David Snyder teaches media law for the Journalism and Media Studies department at USFSP.

Below is a brief interview with Professor David Snyder, who teaches media law at USFSP. Snyder was raised in St. Petersburg and received his Juris Doctorate from Stetson University. His list of accolades and accomplishments are extensive, and include organizing the Florida Bar’s first reporter’s workshop in 1990. Prof. Snyder recently completed a term as chair of the Florida Bar Statewide Advertising Grievance Committee, which acts as a grand jury to determine probable cause for violating Bar advertising rules.

As a personal attorney, Prof. Snyder has provided pro bono services to organizations such as the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. After 34 years of service, Dr. Snyder retired from the Navy reserves in 2001 at the rank of Captain (O-6).

How long have you been teaching at USFSP?
Fall 2006, hiatus, Fall 2011-present

What do you hope students take away from your classes?
How to acquire, create and publish content within the law and where to push the law appropriately.

What’s the last great book you read?
Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America’s Continuing Debate Over Science and Religion by Edward J. Larson

When can we hear you speak on media law?
Oct. 10, 2012: Sunshine seminar at the Lakeland Ledger
Oct. 12, 2012: Sunshine litigation seminar at USF Tampa

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
I'm a journalist and editor by day, and spend my nights and weekends practicing Bikram yoga, editing the news section of The Crow's Nest and growing vegetables in my backyard. I'm a Buffalo, New York, native, and I've lived in New York City, India and France. I hold a bachelor of arts degree in writing (journalism) from The New School in New York City. I'm currently finishing up my master's thesis, and will graduate from USFSP in December 2012. I have mixed feelings about leaving.
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!