'burg Blogs »
Transforming Education

Classroom technology

Classroom technology

Classrooms have come a long way from the good ole’ days of a one room schoolhouse with a chalkboard, paper, and pencil.

Schools today are filled with hundreds, and sometimes thousands of students who are accustomed to living in a world where information is available almost instantaneously. Today’s students seek an interactive educational experience that is engaging, relevant, and rigorous. One that provides them with the skills they need to be successful in life. Classrooms across the globe are now filled with interactive whiteboards, overhead projectors, desktop and laptop computers, e-textbooks, and iPads.

All of this technology is changing schools for the better. Now is the time for schools and teachers to step up to the plate and “get with the times.”

I firmly believe that great teaching is about emotionally engaging the learner in a way that is relevant and individualized. Advances in technology provide educators with necessary resources to provide students with the education they desire. Today’s technology can provide students with greater access to rich, multimedia content, the ability to take classes online, the availability of a multitude of mobile computing devices that can access the Internet, the use of social networking tools for learning and collaboration, and an increase in the power of digital games for more personalized learning.

For some insight into the 21st Century Student:

“Great technology will never replace great teaching, but all of these tools can be used to increase student engagement and have a positive effect on student achievement.”

However, they will only work if teachers are willing to step outside their comfort zone, because, let’s face it, many of today’s teachers were not raised in a world that was as technologically advanced as today’s students. Teachers need to be willing and able to integrate technology into their curriculum instead of viewing it as an add-on or “just one more thing to do.

As a future leader in the field of education I am confident that the education I am receiving as a student in the Educational Leadership Masters degree program at USFSP will provide me with the experience and tools to support teachers in the integration of technology in the classroom. With the constant evolution of technology today great teachers must teach students in a way that fits the world as THEY are experiencing it, not the way WE experienced it.

About the blogger

Photo of blogger
I am currently an Exceptional Student Education teacher for Pinellas County Schools. I am a working toward completion of a Masters degree in Educational Leadership at USF St. Petersburg and will graduate in December 2013. Prior to enrolling at USF I earned an Education Specialist degree in Brain-based Teaching and Learning and a Masters degree in Special Education. Upon graduation I aspire to become a leader in the field of education where I can facilitate change. I am passionate about technology in education and all that is has to offer students and teachers. In my spare time I enjoy reading, shopping, travel, and spending time with family and friends.
We encourage you to comment. Please check our comment guidelines.
burg Blogs

Meet our bloggers, giving you a 'true life' look into life at USF St. Petersburg!