But first, a bit of context. In the mid-1990s, USFSP become the conservators of the two community landmarks. The C. Perry Snell House, formerly located at 106 2nd Avenue N., was moved to campus overnight on August 17, 1993, by A.B. Thomas Housemovers. Over 150 people convened to watch the house transport.
Snell was a leading area developer who honeymooned in St. Petersburg with wife Lillian in 1899. They decided to move here shortly thereafter. The Snells built their Dutch-Colonial home in 1904; it featured electricity and a basement – highly unusual in Florida.
Bay Plaza Cos. donated the Snell House and provided some fees to move it to campus. Bay Plaza had been using the home as offices while working on projects in downtown St. Petersburg. Additionally, “Florida Power Corp, GTE, Paragon Cable, and the City of St. Petersburg waived their fees for house moving,” according to Bayboro Briefing newsletter (Summer 1993). The community initiative to preserve the Snell House featured an all-star volunteer design team including architect Randy Wedding, landscape architect Phil Graham, Mary Wyatt Allen, president of the St. Petersburg Historical & Flight One Museum, and Linda Forché, interior designer and USF St. Petersburg alumna.